TILING FOR CAR PARK, DEPARTMENT STORE AND INDUSTRY
Car park, department store and industry are considered to be heavy-duty area. Tile adhesive with high flexibility is necessary to be used for fixing tiles on these area.
Choose adhesive that fit for the application.
There are some consideration points to select adhesive to fix tiles in heavy-duty area, such as car park, department store and industry, which are;
1. Adhesive with Polymer composition providing good bonding property
2. Adhesive with efficiency to absorb compressive strength
3. Adhesive with flexibility to absorb impact loads
Choose grout that fit for the application.
Different applications require different tile grouts
1. Flexible grout has to be considered to use in car park, department store and industry in order to absorb the expansion of tiles and substrates
2. Low-porosity grout should be used in wet & fresh areas and cold storages to provide the resistance to chemical agents and infection.
Substrate movement is subjected to heavy-traffic
Parking area and department store are considered to be extensive area with heavy traffic.
Movement joints of 5 - 6 mm wide should be left at every area of 60 m2 for small tiles (smaller than 30 x 30 cm) and at every area of 30 m2 for tiles that are bigger than 30 x 30 cm.
Flexible adhesive and grout bonding property and the absorption to compressive strength should be considered to use in heavy-traffic in order to support the movement of substrates and tiles.
1. Surface preparation
In case of cement renders or screeds, they should be left for at least 1 - 3 weeks to be dry.
Movement joints of 5 - 6 mm wide should be left and then fill in the joints with special silicone sealant.
All perimeter joints e.g. at tile corners, column corners and between two different materials, should be 5 - 6 mm wide and filled with special silicone sealant.
2. Tiling with flexible adhesive webertai flex
Leave the tile adhesive to dry for 24 hours before grouting.
3. Grout the joints according to the application
Joint width should be around 3 - 12 mm in order to absorb the expansions of tiles and substrates.
Flexible grout - webercolor outside - should be used in heavy-duty areas or the areas exposed to heavy traffic such as parking lots, selling areas in department stores and industries.
Grout with resistant property to chemical agents and infection - webercolor poxy - should be used in wet & fresh areas and cold storages.